Bocas del Toro is a Paradise that has a lot to offers and the best of all is it is in its natural environment.
There are so things you can see and do. In this post, I comment you about Dolphins Bay, Coral Cay and Zapatilla Cay.
Dolphins Bay (Bahía de los Delfines)
One of the best things you can do is to watch the dolphins free in the sea, to watch them jumping and swimming one side to other side, to be at the expectative because you do not know where they will jump.
It is the second time I can watch them and I was as excited as the first time. Time can pass and you think that only were a few minutes.
I was watch carefully to see them and at the same time to take them a photo for the memory, which is extremely difficult, when you click, the dolphins have already submerged, you can take a photo to their tail.
They also rarely take their head out, but this time I could to take one, although form far away, yet I have a picture.
The guide or boatman is really watching where they appear, to go a little closer and the passengers can see them better..
Coral Cay (Cayo Coral), a place to eat
In this island, you cannot do a lot, it is just for having lunch. The tours arrive there, there are no others restaurants in this route, however, it is not cheaper, although it looks like a rustic town restaurant.
The chicken costs $12.00, the others meals cost $15.00 and the lobster tail costs $25.00 (they bring 3 tails), I take advantage and I ate lobster meat it costs $15.00 (it is not the same of lobster tail). Of course, it was my opportunity to taste this meal.
All the dishes bring rice, patacones (crushed fried bananas), and salad, as such as I wrote (they do not accept credit card). If you want to save money, you can bring your own food.
Our visit was like this: we arrived to the Island, we ordered the food, the we went out to do snorkel and to visit Zapatila Cay, then we return to Coral Cay to have lunch
It is a restaurant by the sea, which is why you can see clearly the fishes in their crystal-clear waters.
On my previously trip, while we were waiting to the food we did snorkel right there.
En esta Isla la verdad que no se hace mucho, más que todo es para almorzar. Aquí llegan los tours, que en su ruta no tiene otra isla con restaurante.
Zapatilla Cay (Cayo zapatilla)
It is a group of 2 the uninhabited Islands, it is forbidden to visit the smallest, the tours arrive to the largest, it is known as the one for the south, the largest or the No. 2
This island has a beautiful white sand beach, turquoise waters, it is so small than you can walk around in a few minutes.
It is a protected place, for which you have to pay an entrance fee. It belongs to the Bastimento National Marine Park.
Very close to Zapatilla Cay, I had the opportunity to Snorkel, as some of you know, I do not how to swim, so I do this activity with a lifejacket and it is great, I could see the fishes and corals, also I didn´t get tired.
Zapatilla Cay was the scene of the Reality Show, Sobrevivientes, well known in Spain.
- Bring water and sunscreen
- Book the tour the day that you are going to take it (to make sure good weather) or a day previously, it is not necessary to book it early in advance, they are many agencies and they have the same prices.
- The snorkeling equipment is offered on the tours, they do not have clappers, if you want you use them, you have to bring them.
- Extra clothes.
- Bring a rain cape or something for the rain, the tours have several hours and you never know if it will rain later, also, if it rains during the journey, you can get wet, although the boat has roof, it is on moving, the water can enter.
- Do not leave anything on the island, neither do not take out anything, it is a protect zone.
- Be on the lookout for the coupon online pages (Gustazos, Quiero Ofertas y Oferta Simple), you can get a good offer, i did a full day tour for $15.00. You have to check the dates, what they offer and the conditions.
10:00 am to 4:00 pm: full day tour.
- It depends of the Island or the stops it has, ranging from $20.00 to $35.00.
- $4.00 Panamanian.
- $10.00 foreigners.
Note- Cayo Zapatilla
Due to the situation of the Coronavirus, the entrance is not being charged.
At the moment, only hiking, beach use and snorkeling are allowed.
You can only go with a booking: write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Information to give to make the booking
- Do it with a minimum of 72 hours in advance,
- You must put in the subject: Reserva área protegida,
- Date of the visit,
- Number of people visiting (in case of groups, only up to 8 people are allowed),
- Name and telephone number of the person who is booking,
- Names, surnames, ages, nationalities and identity card or passport number of the visitors.
- 300 people per day (Cayo Zapatilla).
Regulation of National Parks and Wildlife Reserves (Cayo Zapatilla)
- Do not enter alcoholic drinks,
- No pets,
- Forbidden to feed the fauna,
- No Smoking,
- Do not carry or take out, species of fauna and flora or parts and sub-parts of these.
How to get there?
You only can get by boat from Isla Colón, I recommend you any agency to Bocas Del Toro Cooperative.
Other posts that you may like
- Knowing Colón Island
- Information about Colón Island
- Red Frog and Hollywood Cove
- Punta Vieja Beach and Sloths Island